Gas heaters seem, on the surface, to be relatively basic appliances; the gas goes in through one end of the appliance and heat comes out through the other. Most homes have gas heaters and these resilient systems can easily last for over a decade. There are a number of reasons why you should prioritise regular gas heater servicing and maintenance such as:
- Just like most other appliances, regular service and preventative maintenance can ensure these systems operate consistently and efficiently.
- Regular servicing of gas heaters also keeps these units safe and cost-efficient.
- Scheduled gas heater maintenance can prevent a fire breakout and the build-up of pollution in the indoor spaces of your home from fumes emitted when LPG or natural gas burn.
Gas heater maintenance schedule
We recommend annual professional servicing, just before wintertime, to ensure your heater is running efficiently and safely through the colder months. You can also carry out some basic maintenance such as regular gas heater cleaning by vacuuming grills/ducts, allowing the hot air to flow freely throughout the room.
Note: Clean gas heaters only when they are off and have cooled
Signs that your gas heater requires servicing
There are certain indicators to look out for to know when your gas heater needs a service:
- Brown, red or yellow sooty flames (except log fires/ gas fireplaces that produce yellow flames to mimic fire)
- The system’s pilot light goes off very frequently
- You hear banging/popping sounds from the pilot light when you start the heater
- Heat damage shows up on the heater itself, the walls around the system or the items located near your unit
- Soot stains show up around/on the heater
- The system becomes very hot and you are unable to shut it down
Gas heaters of top brands have a lifespan of about 15-20 years, with regular maintenance. If your heater is much older than that or is approaching this age we recommend you replace it for safety reasons. Our experts can provide all the information you need and discuss the pros and cons of various systems, enabling you to make a more informed decision.
The dangers of poorly-maintained gas heaters
When it burns, gas produces carbon monoxide, a hazardous pollutant. Most gas heaters can safely get rid of this product via a flue. However, depending on the ventilation levels in the room and how well you have maintained the system, these hazardous gases can just build-up inside the home, placing your family at risk of CO poisoning. You can’t easily detect carbon monoxide, as this gas doesn’t have any taste or smell. However, it can build up and also deprive the body of much-needed oxygen causing symptoms such as chest pains, nausea, headaches and dizziness, which could be symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning. This makes it important to get the heater regularly inspected and serviced by licensed gas fitters like the ones at CPC Plumbing.
Expert gas heater servicing
We provide reliable and efficient gas heater maintenance services and can come in at regular intervals to inspect the unit, to ensure everything is functioning as it should. We have the skill, experience and the certification required to handle all types of gas heater repair and maintenance jobs.
The experts at CPC Plumbing respond quickly and fix all types of drain and other plumbing problems, which provides our clients value for money. You can call us on 0413 131 216 to learn more about our plumbing services or use this online form to send queries and service requests and we will revert within a short time.
Thanks for reading,
0413 131 216